Versatile CAN Support in the IEC 61131-3 Development System CODESYS
The asynchronous serial bus system CAN (Controller Area Network) can be used for the most different applications and plays an important role in the automation market. CODESYS offers comprehensive CAN support with integrated functions and products for different layers.
- Integrated Fieldbus Configuration
⇒ The bus configuration and the assignment of variables to the I/O channels (I/O mapping) is done directly in the IEC 61131-3 tool
- Protocol stacks for CAN layer 7 communication as IEC 61131-3 libraries
⇒ Compile and transfer the protocol stack for CANopen and J1939 to the target platform together with the PLC program
Requirements for CAN Communication
- Implementation of a CAN mini driver with 29-bit identifier (“Extended frame format " or CAN 2.0B) which fits the CAN chip. Reference implementations for example for SJA and SocketCAN available.
- Use of available drivers for example for PeakCAN®, SocketCAN, netX CAN, CANfox®, USB-to-CAN and Beckhoff® EL6751 EtherCAT-to-CAN-clamp
Available Communication Mechanisms
- CANL2 interface for access to the CAN chip (send and receive Raw CAN, as well as chip diagnosis in the IEC application)
- CAN block driver: Communication between CODESYS and the runtime system via CAN interface
You are a system integrator or a user in the plant construction sector or the like:
Use controllers equipped with CODESYS CAN support. Millions of CODESYS-compatible single devices and over 1,000 different device types from more than 500 manufacturers offer you a large range of hardware for your automation projects. CODESYS Inside offers a selection of manufacturers that offer CODESYS-compatible devices. In addition, most SoftPLC licenses in the CODESYS Store already include support for CANopen and can be used immediately with a suitable interface."
You are a manufacturer of programmable devices:
Technical requirements: Implement the CANopen mini driver for the low level interface on your hardware and make available sufficient memory on your device. Purchase the CODESYS Runtime Toolkit with CAN support, which apart from the native CAN support also includes a fieldbus protocol.
For more information or an offer please contact our sales department under firstname.lastname@example.org
CANopen® Master / CANopen Slave / J1939 / Raw CAN supported directly in the IEC 61131-3 Development System